Kat's books

Restore Me
Ignite Me
Convergent Lines
Unravel Me
Geekerella
Frozen Tides
Gathering Darkness
Rebel Spring
The Cruel Prince
The Winner's Crime
The Winner's Curse
A World Without Princes
Batman: Nightwalker
Just Because of You
Out of the Shadows
The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic
Nearly Found
Nearly Gone
A Strange Hymn
Wonder Woman: Warbringer


Kat's favorite books »

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Serpent and Dove: Shelby Mahurin


Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.

The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.

And love makes fools of us all.
 
(Goodreads)

Alright! So I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I first read this book. My friend told me to read it, saying it is absolutely amazing. One of the best books she had read in a long time... Therefore I had to read it. AND I LOVED IT 

SO! This book is full of tropes, so many goddamn tropes. I was living. Enemies to lovers? And then they were roommates? THERE WAS ONLY ONE BED?! Marriage of convenience? Pining?
I'm telling you, this book has them all. Also, enemies to lovers are seriously my favorite trope, so of course, I was going to love this book.  

Now, where do I begin? This book has an exciting start. And I personally didn't like the beginning, and I struggled so hard to get into the book... Funny because afterward, I could NOT put the book down.

The book begins with Lou dressed as a man looking for something; we don't know what, but we know it's essential. The next thing we know, she gets caught by none other than our good sir Reid, and he notices she's a girl because her mustache falls off. Classic.

Things happen, and somehow, miraculously, Reid and Lou end up getting married in a marriage of convenience. Lou's freaking out because she's a witch, and Reid is devastated because he's now married to a woman he doesn't know. AND he was semi courting another girl who was "perfect."

This is where the meat of the story begins. THE ROMANCE BEGINS! He finds her beautiful, reluctantly. She is blatantly staring at this hot man, and now they're fake married... what could go wrong? A lot, actually. The moment Lou and Reid start talking like adults and sharing feelings is when my soul left my body and went to heaven. It's honestly pretty cute the way they fell in love, and the cliques just keep coming. 

Honestly, looking back, this book isn't the best. It's mediocre at best. Plot-wise the book is sound; it has a stable middle and end. But that's about it. The characters are meh. The interpersonal struggles are okay but not new. The conflict is what kept me going, I mean... Mother wants to kill daughter for power? Love it. 

Overall, I loved the book when I first read it, but having reread the book just kind of took away from the original sparkle. 

Until next time readers <3

Love Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment